Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Makenna's First Road Trip





We decided to make a much needed trip down to the valley. Oh wait, let me define the “valley”. Very, very, very south Texas. Harlingen, McAllen, Brownsville area. Basically I like to call it Mexico. I can’t hate on the valley too much though because after all, I was born there. Both sides of my family are from there as well. My grandmother (Nene) just had her hip replaced and shoulder surgery. My other grandmother (Maria) is also not doing so well health wise so I figured it was time to pay a visit to both of them. At least so they could see Miss Makenna. After all, she has a way of making everyone in the room smile so I was hoping she’d help cheer them up. This was also going to be Makenna’s first road tip and her first trip to the beach (South Padre).



The drive down was great. I was worried because Makenna does not usually like sitting in her car seat for very long but she survived the 5 ½ hour drive with lots of smiles and giggles. Of course it helped that Brittany and I didn’t stop playing with her the entire time. We’d read books, make noises, silly faces, and a last ditch effort to keep her happy……BEAT BOXING. Yup…that’s right. As I began, the next words out of my mouth were, “Britt….bust a flow.” LOL The things you do to entertain your children. Embarrassment is no longer something that concerns you. No hesitations. You just do what you have to in order to put a smile on that cute little face. =)



While we were in town we made our rounds and saw pretty much all of my family. The only person I wasn’t able to see was my father which was actually a good thing. I don’t think I was ready for that confrontation yet. It was such a happy weekend that I didn’t want to ruin it. We finally made it the beach late Saturday evening and Makenna absolutely loved it. She was so intrigued by the sand and water on her little feet. I tried many times to get her attention so I could take a picture but there was no competing with them (sand and water). She forgot I was even there. Oh well, I still managed to get some cute pics taken. She sat with “Grandma Nazi” most of the time and I loved watching the two of them interact together. These days when you see my mother she’s frowning because something just pissed her off or I she doesn’t feel well. Never just relaxed and happy. So to see her playing and smiling with Makenna on the beach with not a care in the world was absolutely beautiful. Overall, a great day at the beach.



I’m glad I made it down to the valley after all. I thought many times about not going. It was definitely worth it though. Only problem was leaving. I became so sad. I love my family and wish they were closer. Spending more time with them is a must. I miss both my grandmothers so much. With that said, we’re talking about going back in July and I can’t wait. =) Beach here I come….AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment