Monday, August 17, 2009

A Dozen Roses

Sweet gestures really can go a long way when it comes to women. These days expression of feelings are usually expressed through text, email, instant messenger, or even worse…Facebook postings. With all these tech savy ways of communicating how we feel it always makes me appreciate the good old days of hand written notes, flowers, candy, etc. Receiving an “I’m sorry” note from a friend, “Get Well” flowers from a family member, or “Happy Valentine’s Day” candy from your boyfriend always puts a smile on your face and seems so much more personal.

So to explain my weekend I will first need to introduce a new person to the blog. We will call him “Kevin”. “Kevin” is my neighbor across the street. We’ve recently been hanging out and while we get along great we both could never see ourselves dating each other. Still having a male companion around can have its perks. Especially when dealing with the pregnancy depression of being single. Anyhow, Kevin and I made plans Saturday to rent a movie and just stay in and watch it. He had a birthday dinner to go to and then was going to head to Blockbuster around 8pm to pick out a movie. I waited and waited but never heard from him. I ended up going to dinner with my sister and just figured he forgot or got held up. I will admit that I was a little disappointed and the crazy thought of “another man letting me down” went through my head but overall I didn’t let it get to me. I finally received a call from “Kevin” at 11:45pm that night. He said his family ended up coming into town and that he’d be a little longer but wanted to know if it was still okay to see me. My response of course was, “No”. Even though I had ZERO plans for the night and was extremely bored, as a women we all know we have to make them suffer when they screw up. LOL So that is what I did. He continued texting and calling all night still trying to make up for it and see me and I continued to reject him. I slept pretty well that night knowing that it drove him crazy that I wouldn’t give in and allow him to come over. =)

Sunday morning comes along and after church I receive a phone call from him apologizing again for the night before and he tells me he has a surprise for me when I get home. At this point I’m rolling my eyes and thinking, “WHATEVER”. When I got home that afternoon I decided to see what the surprise was all about and told him to meet me outside in 5 minutes. When I came out, there he was with a dozen long stem red roses. Wow! He said he just wanted to make sure I knew how sorry he was for the night before. All this for calling me 3 hours late? “David” did horrible things during our relationship and I still never received “I’m sorry” flowers. I did not know how to react at first. I was definitely in shock. I know roses to most may not seem like a big deal but with the way my life has been going the roses symbolized something so much more than just a sweet gesture. It let me know I was worth more than what I’ve had in the past. No, I’m not falling in love with my neighbor or anything like that. But, he reminded me that as women we do deserve things like this. We do deserve an “I’m sorry” no matter how small the issue. It feels good to have someone of the opposite sex recognize when they are wrong and correct the situation even when it is something so simple. I had become so use to it always being my fault in my last relationship. Even when “David” cheated, he blamed it on me. For once to have someone else doing the apologizing felt good. Now if only he knew I don't like red roses…lol Oh well…he tried. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment